Thursday, June 19, 2008

Cooking Lesson - Photo a Day, June 19th

So as I was picking Jonathan up from the bus stop after school, I was contemplating what I would have for lunch today.

Later on, I'm going to be making gnocchi and I need 3 egg yolks for that. I don't want three egg whites sitting around, so what's a girl to do? Make an egg white omelet of course! And that's just what I did...my own recipe even...made it up as I went along.

Last week at the farmer's market, I bought some fresh spinach. I've been using in salads (YUM!), but I wanted to do something different with it.

So, I took about two cups of fresh spinach, washed it up and wilted it in a small pan with a pinch of salt. The water that is left on the leaves after the washing combined with the salt is more than enough to get a nice wilt.


(Note to self: clean stove top, including elements and rings)

While your spinach is wilting, chop up some tomato. I used about 1/4 of a beefsteak tomato, to make about 1/2 cup. It was a bit much, so I saved some for a repeat performance for tomorrow's lunch.


I had some leftover green onions from the taco dinner we had last week, so I just used those. I'd say about a 1/4 cup. Again, there was a bit much in the container, so they'll be used in the repeat performance.


At this point, my spinach was nicely wilted, so I removed it from the pan and set it aside.

Next came the cooking of the egg whites. I used the same pan as I used for the spinach with a little cooking spray thrown in to make sure the egg whites wouldn't stick.


I used a small pan because most times I just like to fold my omelets in half. If I'm just making a cheese omelet, then I'll fold it in thirds, but for this one, I wanted just a 1/2 fold.

Once the eggs were pretty much done, I started piling on the toppings. I also discovered we were out of "good" cheese (the one that comes in blocks) and had only the sliced stuff that the kids use for their sandwiches. I discovered a small piece of fresh Parmesan which I grated up and added on top of the other ingredients. Now, the Parmesan wasn't a BAD choice, per se, but I think the omelet would have been a bit tastier with mozzarella or maybe even cheddar.


(Note to self: Buy plain coloured plates if you're going to keep photographing food!)

So, there you have it. My lunch. It was REALLY yummy...though could have done with maybe a little pinch of salt at the end for seasoning and DEFINITELY some pepper. I'll try that tomorrow.


Spinach, Tomato Omelette

3 egg whites
2 c. fresh spinach leaves, wilted
1/3 c. diced tomato
2 tbsp. diced green onion
1/3 to 1/2 cup of shredded cheese - use your favourite kind


  1. Wilt spinach in small pan, remove and set aside.
  2. Dice tomatoes and onions.
  3. Cook eggs.
  4. When eggs are almost completely cooked, add toppings and shredded cheese.
  5. Fold omelet over and let cooking finish over minimum heat.
  6. Remove to plate and enjoy!

Don't ask me calories, I have NO idea! I do know that it is fairly low in fat based on the ingredients. You could lower the fat even more by using a reduced fat cheese or even leaving the cheese out altogether - but who wants to have an omelet with no cheese???

Hope you enjoy your omelet as much as I did. Let me know if you tried it!

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: