This is the recipe I've been using since I got my Cuisinart Stand Mixer from Santa in 2008. I don't know how I ever lived without it! I almost NEVER buy bread anymore, because it's SO much more fun to make it myself...and at least I know what's in it! Six ingredients... that's it...have you EVER read the ingredients list on store bought bread? And you wonder why it keeps so long? UGH!!!
Anyway, the recipe:
- 1 pkg. dry active yeast (if you buy in bulk like I do, that's 2 1/4 tsp.)
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 2/3 cup very warm water
- 1/4 c. vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 5 c. flour
- Dissolve yeast with sugar and water
- Add vegetable oil
- Add all the flour
- Set mixer to "2" for 4 minutes and then "3" for another 4 minutes
- Remove to oiled bowl, cover and let rise till doubled (about an hour)
- Punch down and form into two loaves
- Transfer to greased loaf pans, cover and let rise till doubled (about an hour)
- Bake at 375F for about 25 minutes
- Remove from pans and tap bottom of loaf - if it sounds hollow, it's done.
This time around, I snuck in 1 cup of whole wheat flour. If you're going to do this, DON'T buy bread flour. You should look for whole wheat pastry flour as the texture is much smoother.
One loaf was gone the day it was made...yep! It's THAT good!
On Saturday, I made this card:
Just before Christmas, a friend of mine gave birth (7 weeks early) to an ADORABLE little boy! He's still in NICU due to a few setbacks, so I sent her this card to let her know I was thinking about her family.
On Sunday, this was dinner:
This is SUPER simple to make and EVERYONE loves it...well, except for middle DS, who doesn't like stuff with sauce on it, so he gets the sausage and the pasta separately.
I removed the sausage from the casings and browned it up. While that was happening, I cooked the pasta and made a garlic cream sauce (basically a white sauce with some garlic and Frank's Red Hot for a little kick).
Dinner was ready in less than 1/2 an hour...gotta love when that happens!!!
Thanks for visiting! Have a GREAT day!