Sunday, September 14, 2008

The Sunflower

Back in May (or was it June? - I thought there was blog entry...but maybe not, oh well!), Jonathan planted a few sunflower seeds at Cooking School. We cooked something first, then because it was a spring theme, we planted sunflowers.

Only one of the little seeds grew, so it was a good thing we planted three in that little styrofoam cup. When the seed started to grow, it looked kinda pathetic (poor little thing) and started to bend over as it grew taller. I tried to straighten it out one day and and broke the stem (OOPS!) but the little plant wanted to live! So, we took it to Grandma and Poppa's house, and Poppa planted it in the garden and put some sticks next to the stem to help it stand up straight and see if it would grow bigger.

Lo and behold, it did!


And now, not only is it taller than Jonathan, it's even taller than Scott! How cool is that??? The head hasn't opened yet, so we didn't get to see the pretty sunflower colour. Scott's dad said that when it does, he'll take a pic for us to see. I can't wait!

Just to give you another idea of how big the plant is, here is Jonathan's little hand against one of the leaves:


While we were in Brantford, we celebrated MIL's birthday and I raided her cookbook collection for some new stuff to mess around with...so stay tuned for some possible baking posts this week.

As for tomorrow, Jonathan and I are off to the airport as Air Canada, the GTAA and Sick Kids launch a fund raising initiative. There should be lots of pics of that, so I can't wait!

My flip switch today was again our trip to Santa Monica...yes, I know I have a fixation problem - LOL!

Hope you all had a great weekend! Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: